Parr Pressure Vessel Technical Sales Manager
South UK and Ireland
SciMed is a highly regarded and long-established distributor of laboratory equipment throughout the UK and Ireland. Founded in 1979, SciMed has grown to a staff of 21 people, an annual turnover of nearly £7M and a product line that is supplied by 23 highly respected instrument manufacturers from across the globe. Throughout this growth SciMed has remained an owner-managed company and the management still remain at the forefront of both the sales process and day to day running of the company.
As part of SciMed’s continued growth they are looking to appointment a territory-focused Technical Sales Manager to maintain and develop their Parr Instrument Company pressure vessel business in the south of the UK and throughout Ireland. Currently this function is carried out by Dr Adam Rucklidge who is the Parr Pressure Vessel Product Manager and is part of the SciMed management team. Upon creation of this role Adam will keep the day to day customer facing role for the North of the UK. The North/South split will be defined after the post is filled and depends upon the successful candidate’s home location.
Parr Instrument Company are a world leading supplier of oxygen bomb calorimeters and lab scale pressure vessels and systems. Parr design, manufacture and assemble their products in their factory in Moline which is located 2 hours west of Chicago. Outside of the US and Germany, Parr operate an indirect sales channel using distributors for local representation. SciMed has been Parr’s UK and Ireland exclusive distributor for 37 years and today Parr/SciMed are the market leader for lab scale pressure vessels with an annual turnover of over £1M in SciMed’s allocated territory.
- Developing and maintaining profitable sales within the allocated territory for the Parr pressure vessel product line
- Developing new opportunities through visits to current and potential customers
- Demonstrating equipment at customer locations
- Installing equipment and training users on new equipment
- After sales technical customer support including advice on operation of equipment and provision of quotes for spare and consumables
- Reporting to the SciMed/Parr Product Manager
- Using ACT CRM database to track customer information and sales opportunities
- Keeping abreast of Parr vessel competitors
- Promoting of all of SciMed’s products while on customer visits, gathering market information and relaying back to the appropriate SciMed product manager
- Promoting all of SciMed’s interests at UK and Ireland exhibitions where Parr pressure vessels are of specific interest to the event attendees
- The role will involve occasional overnight stays
- The role will require occasional visits to the SciMed office which is located near Manchester Airport
- It is expected that the role will require a weeklong trip to Ireland once every 2-3 months for general business development. Other shorter trips may be needed for reactive customer visits
- The role will require occasional international travel to attend supplier training and sales meetings
- The role will be a constantly evolving one, and additional responsibilities may be added as the Company product portfolio changes and the successful candidate develops
Experience & Qualifications
- BSc (or higher) in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or a related discipline
- Technical knowledge of apparatus in process and/or organic chemistry
- Live in the south or midlands of England as this is where the majority of the successful candidate’s time will be spent. Please note that no relocation package is offered with this role
- Fully computer literate with Microsoft Office
- Full UK driving license
- Use of pressure vessels in a research environment
- Field sales experience of chemistry-related lab equipment
- Track record of meeting/exceeding sales targets
- Experience of the capital equipment and/or instrument sales process
- Dynamic, self-motivated, well organised individual
- Able to work as a team player as well as take control and make decisions when necessary
- Flexible individual with a desire to get ‘stuck in’ at all levels is an absolute must
- Having the stature and confidence to deal with senior managers
- Salary based on experience
- Generous bonus based on agreed sales target
- Contribution to personal pension above the legal minimum
- Health insurance for employee (and family if desired)
- Death in service and long term sickness insurance
- Five weeks holiday + bank holidays + Christmas shutdown
- Travel allowance
- All reasonable out of pocket expenses reimbursed weekly
- Laptop & mobile phone
- Full product training will be given
To apply for this role please send your details to Dr Adam Rucklidge (firstname.lastname@example.org, 07759592548). If you would like an informal chat about the role prior to applying please do so using the same contact details.
Prior to a formal unconditional offer being made to any candidate we will require 2 relevant references.
This role will remain open until a suitable candidate has been appointed and not specific timeframe is being worked to.
Please send your application to:
Scientific and Medical Products Ltd
Unit B4, The Embankment Business Park,
or e-mail email@example.com
Due to time constraints, not all applicants will be contacted.