Current Vacancy: High pressure system build and maintenance Engineer.
SciMed is a highly regarded and long-established distributor of laboratory equipment throughout the UK and Ireland. Founded in 1979, SciMed has grown to a staff of 29 people, an annual turnover of nearly £10M and a product line that is supplied by 27 highly respected instrument manufacturers from across the globe. Throughout this growth SciMed has remained an owner-managed company and the management still remain at the forefront of both the sales process and day to day running of the company.
As part of SciMed’s continued growth a new position has become available within the supercritical CO2 team lead by Dr James Tunstall. This new position is a result of SciMed becoming the master distributorship for Europe for Core Separations. This role will have two strands but both of a mechanical nature. The first part will be office based and will look after post sales processes required to deliver our supercritical CO2 systems. This will include the working up of a conceptual design to allow manufacture, procurement of required subassemblies, final assembly, functional testing and the required notified body certification process. The 2nd strand will be the field installation and service of these products. Currently all of these functions are carried by several members of the team and the creation of this role is required due the expected increased workload from the work in Europe.
- Working with the sales team to support them in the preparation of accurate costings to allow for formal tender of works
- Upon receipt of the customer sales order take control of the project and determine and implement the required steps to bring that project in on time and budget.
- Liaising between sales team and CAD designer to finalize layout of unit.
- Working with vendors to procure components in a cost effective and timely manner.
- Working with (and where needed directly helping) the inhouse assembly team to build the system to the designed layout.
- With the sales team define and implement a testing procedure to ensure that the system works as specified
- Produce all required documentation for the project
- Liaise with the appropriate bodies to obtain are quired regulatory approval
- Have overall control of the budget to ensure project is brought in on budget.
- To have an overview of the entire project and ensure that the critical path is followed so that the project is completed in the agreed timescale.
- Work with the sales team and customer to provide onsite installation and where required to carry out basic operator training.
- As the systems require repair and maintenance the role will also involve
- Perform troubleshooting via phone and e-mail to diagnose customer issues leading to a customer-based resolution.
- Visiting customer sites to undertake preventive maintenance services.
- Visiting customer sites to undertake ad hoc repairs
- Undertaking return to base repairs
- As we develop our customer base and network of distributors across Europe the European based projects will increase. This will in the need to travel to customers in Europe and/or support local distributors with “at customer” support.
Experience, Qualifications and Legal Prerequisites
- Formal qualification to a level equivalent to HND or above in a relevant engineering or design discipline (e.g. mechanical engineering, chemical engineering, process engineering).
- Desire to be customer facing and travel to customers’ site.
- CAD experience.
- Driving license.
- Right to work in the UK and be eligible to travel to EU for business purposes.
- Flexible individual with a desire to get ‘stuck in’ at all levels is an absolute must.
- Practical use of high-pressure systems including maintenance.
- Working knowledge of pressure vessel codes such as PED, ASME, PD5500.
- Working knowledge of other CE legislation such as the machine directive.
- Working understand of PLC and electrical instrumentation.
- Service experience ideally in the field
- Personal Qualities
- Dynamic, self-motivated, well organised individual.
- Able to work as a team player as well as take control and make decisions when necessary.
- Having the stature and confidence to deal with senior managers and regulatory notified bodies.
- Salary based on experience. Basic salary range £26K – £40K pa.
- Bonus up to 15% of salary and based upon both employee and company performance.
- Contribution to personal pension above the legal minimum.
- Health insurance for employee (and family if desired).
- Death in service and long-term sickness insurance.
- Five weeks holiday + bank holidays + Christmas shutdown.
- All reasonable travel and subsistence out of pocket expenses reimbursed weekly.
- Laptop & mobile phone
The selection process will follow the following procedure
1. Applications will be long listed to a list of candidates of no more than 10. The long list process will remain open until a suitable list is obtained
2. The longlist candidates will be invited to a 30-minute web interview
3. This list will be narrowed to a shortlist of no more than 4 and they will be invited for a 1-hour interview in person at our offices in Stockport
4. If a suitable candidate is found the position will be offered on the condition of 2 satisfactory are received one of which is from your current employer
This role will remain open until a suitable candidate has been appointed and no specific timeframe is being worked to.
This position is ready to be filled once a suitable candidate is found and if applicable their notice period is worked.
If you would like an informal discussion about the role prior to applying please do not hesitate to contact James Tunstall ( firstname.lastname@example.org 07923323980).
To apply for this role please send your CV with covering letter detailing
· Why you feel you are suited to this role
· Your motivation for applying for this role
· Any other information you deem relevant to your application
Both documents should be in pdf format and e-mailed to email@example.com with the heading “Job Application – scCO2”
Applications without a covering letter clearly stating the above will not be considered.